Friday, July 11, 2014

Feature Friday: DLP 2014...half way done!


The Document Life Project is over half way done for 2014. I thought I'd share some of my pages from along the way. I didn't join until March went back to do the earlier challenges, but here's what I have!

Warning: this is a long, photo heavy post! :)

January 1, 2014 - Week One - Photograph, sketch, paint or incorporate your front door.



This one doubles as the cover page for my journal. 


January 5, 2014 - Week Two - Selfie


After cutting up several (prints of) photos of me, I did several pages of Picasso inspired faces, playing in scaling features. It was a really good exercise in loosening my mind. 


January 12, 2014 - Week Three - Add an envelope from your mailbox.





I hid an envie behind a quote I taped in my journal so I'd have a secret pocket to hide thing in!


January 18, 2014 - Week Four - Write a secret message then paint over all but one key word.


Week 4 and 5 were combined; I wrote a love note to my kiddos under the doodles. Can you see part of it?


January 25, 2014 - Week Five - Add a doodle border.


I tried to limit my color palette to help the borders look more cohesive. 


February 1, 2014 - Week Six - Open your Pinterest board and be inspired.


My first set of gelatos came in right before I saw this pin, so I jumped on this prompt!


February 8, 2014 - Week Seven - Draw one shape - repeat - add color.



    

Ooops I never finished painting this prompt, but I now have something ready to go next time I'm in a rut! I started with 


February 15, 2014 - Week Eight - Add a flap to your flap.




This page ended up being a catch all for a variety of things, including my early voting sticker, a ticket from a luncheon event, a Jamberry nail wrap sample, and a toll ticket (evidently toll roads won't accept credit cards -whoops!). 


February 22, 2014 - Challenge (Week Nine) - Collage something you recycled.



This started with a program from an event I attended for work, then I added a stamp and my fortune from lunch that week. I just loved those oranges! I tied it all together with some watercolor, punches and a piece of a bag from Paper Source. 


March 1, 2014 - Challenge (Week Ten) - Make a list of the things that make you YOU.


This is the "about me" section from my blog, so I found it fitting for this week. Another page I did out of order, as I pasted this on the inside of the front cover. I also added a sticker that reads "bee you". Bee are one of my things, as my name means "honeybee".


March 8, 2014 - Challenge - Week Eleven - Draw, photograph or collage a bird onto your page.


Originally I did a sketch of a mockingbird for this week. But when I found this feather while at the park, it triggered a childhood memory pertaining to a Robin so I made another page!



March 15, 2014 - Challenge - Week Twelve - Cut up a magazine..add!


This was from an advertisement last year for the local art fair. If you are in the Houston area, I highly recommend the Waterway Arts Festival. It's worth the trip!


March 22, 2014 - Challenge -  Week 13 - Ask someone else to draw on your page - finish it



This was a joint venture with my favorite art buddy! I often let my toddler play in my journals. He started a florescent base with some highlighters then I doodled, painted and wrote over top.


March 29, 2014 - Challenge Week 14 - Write your name and embellish it.


I saw a card at the store and stopped real fast to capture its letter style. When I got home to look up the artist (Katie Daisy), I just in awe of her work. Lettering and calligraphy are fascinating to me, so I often try to document pretty lettering in my journal for reference later on. My hope is that through multiple iterations, it will become more original, truly "mine". 


April 5, 2014 Challenge Week 15 - Monochromatic: use shades, tints and hues of one color!



This monochromatic city started as purple, but got dark very fast, so I added a moon and called it night time.

April 12, 2014 - Challenge -Week 16 - Add a cardboard food box in a creative way.


"Put da lime in da coconut"... The ice cream man is off a fruit bar box and the sun is an Eggo waffle. I was really ready for summer early this year, so these yummy coconut bars tided me over.



Since I was so incredibly inspired by Gina Lee Kim's Panera boat from the week 9 challenge,  I made another page for this week with a Starbucks moon and boat!

April 19, 2014 - Week 17 Challenge - Photograph or draw your favorite shoes.


These are the shoes I wore at my wedding. Sooo comfortable, very versatile and super cute. The back ground painting is by Stephanie Corfee, an artist from my childhood hometown.

April 26, 2014 - Week 18 Challenge - Add an inspiring quote to guide your week.


My mom wanted this quote as a gift for Mother's Day, so I spent the week working through various versions for her. (PS can you see I was still channeling Katie Daisy from week 14).

May 3, 2014 - Week 19 Challenge - Document a Random Act of Kindness from you

This one I won't share. While I documented it in my journal for me, some things I feel are more meaningful when they are not shared.


May 10, 2014 - Week 20 Challenge - Use a Rubber Stamp in a new way.



Used stamps to make a mandala. I liked this one so much, I several more to use other projects with more of my nature stamps, including butterflies, leaves, flowers, and dragonflies. The background is homemade spray alcohol inks. I used some sparkly watercolor for this page, but it didn't photograph as well as I'd have liked.

May 17, 2014 - Week 21 Challenge - Add embroidery or embroidery floss to your page - no floss? use thread.



This fabulous sewn card came in one of the fabulous happy mails I received through a DLP happy mail swap and made the perfect flap to add. Can you see my secret note underneath?

May 24, 2014 - Week 22 Challenge - Draw, paint or sketch a house.


I liked the first watercolor house so much, I ended up making a small village!

This challenge gave me an idea a few weeks later for an art swap using washi tape. Here's a thumbnail sketch of my idea: a little washi city!



May 31, 2014 - Week 23 Challenge - Practice gratitude - write what you are grateful for each day this week.


While I may have mentioned this before, I prefer to do a monthly layout on one page to document things that made me happy each day or for which I'm grateful. Then I do the DLP prompts on the following pages, intermingled with my general sketches. 


The monthly layout started a few years back as a way to continue the  30 Days of Thanks project, a month long challenge of gratitude during November. That year November was an especially challenging month, as I had some things going on in my personal life that were dampening my perspective. The process seeking out the good really struck a cord with me and helped me work through some things, so when December hit, I wanted to continue this practice as a way to document life and the blessings in it. Its a wonderful record to have, all the good things in you life!
June 7, 2014 - Week 24 Challenge - Use book text


Another cheat week. I made this in May for an art contest. Alas, it didn't win, but since I had it on hand I used it as a flap for this prompt. The flying happy mail is a page from Macbeth



June 14, 2014 -  Week 25 Challenge - Cover your Flap in Hearts.



June 21, 2024 - Week 26 Challenge - Add a bible verse that inspires you  - or a line from your favorite book


I combined weeks 25 and 26. One of my favorite bible verses is 1 Corinthians 14:4, about how to love. By no means am I perfect, so I often need this reminder to be a kinder, loving person.


June 28, 2014 - Week 27 Challenge - Add a crossword puzzle, suduko or word search



This page has ended up being one of my favorites. I love how my goofy little crossword pig came out.


So here they are. Twenty seven weeks of pages. 

As you can see, there was quite a bit of tweaking on some of these, including combining challenges, doing things out of order, and taking some liberal artist license in interpreting the challenges. Some prompts I did a few weeks later, when the mood struck me. A few, I re-used previous journal pages when a relevant prompt came up. Over all, I'm pleased with how DLP is turning out. I've met some amazing ladies through this project and discovered so many artists who's work I adore. 

I think when you truly "own" a project like this, it's so much more enjoyable. Hope you will join us for the remainder of the year!



*Please note, while I have mentioned several artist, stores, projects, etc. I am not receiving any type of compensation nor promotion for mentioning them or including links. Just giving credit to to things I was inspired by and a shout out to things I like.*

No comments:

Post a Comment