Thursday, January 23, 2014

Creative coloring

My little man and I have love doing art projects together. Painting blobs, drawing shapes, we love color. Unfortunately there's been a major casualty over time due to our creativeness - most of his crayons were broken and/or smooshed to bits. Basically completely unusable.

Not wanting to be wasteful, I've been saving the smooshed pieces over time and finally started at the tedious task of peeling away the labels on the remaining chunks. [Edit: Grab an exacto knife and slice the wrappers first. It helped a lot!]

The plan? Melt the crayons to make them usable again!


I kid you not, this seemed to take forever.

I simply popped the peeled bits in to a muffin tin and baked it for about 10 minutes at 350 F. 


Let the wax cool and you have some "new", re-purposed crayons, that are especially toddler-hand-size friendly!



A few tips:

Think about what colors will go well together when melting them. The wax can get very muddy very fast. You may try picking fewer colors that are close together (eg. reds, oranges, yellows) or that you at least enjoy together (yellow-green, cerulean blue, and pink in my case).

A box of 25 crayons resulted in about  four new crayons, so you may want to hold on to your broken bits from a few boxes until you have a decent collection.

Our muffins trays are silicon, so the wax popped out easily. If you are using metal muffin trays, you may want to use some cupcake liners to be on the safe side. 

Let the wax sit to cool for a good bit, at least an hour or so, before trying to pop them out. We were impatient and put the tray in the freezer to help them along and two of the crayons cracked in half and had to be re-melted together. 

If you happen to have some heart shaped muffin tins, this makes a great Valentine's Day gift to send to school with the kiddos! Since I have round trays, I designed these cards to print off to go with the crayons for my son's class. 



Note: I found out crayons products are on sale at Hobby Lobby this week if you want to try making this project this weekend!

What are some fun projects you do with your little ones? What are your favorite crayon colors to use together. I'd love to hear if you try this project!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds as if you all had as much fun as we did! Love your heart cards for the kiddos to fill in, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika! It was a blast. My toddler's short attention span did lead to me doing most of the peeling but I was in color heaven!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. :) Thanks Ronnie! They were fun to make. Forgot how much I love crayons!

      Delete