Monday, November 18, 2013

Original Thankful Thursday

Im totally guilty of daily posts to Facebook about gratitude in November. Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday for a long time. Even before my husband and I were married I knew I wanted Thanksgiving to be "my" holiday. The first year we were married, I hosted Thanksgiving at our house and made all 18 dishes (I'm very indecisive and couldn't decided between things). Our second year married, we were just going to host a post-dinner dessert gathering but it turned out to be a full meal as well. I also hosted the party after my son's baptism at our house that weekend. Talk about exhausting but fun.

I was lucky enough to have my parents come down for both years and we had a wonderful time. After my dad passed away last year, I just couldn't bring myself to cook Thanksgiving. I was hoping to do it again this year but we'll have to see what other family stuff is happening that day. If I do, I don't think I will go to quite the extremes of the first year.


A tradition I started the first Thanksgiving I hosted was handing out "thankfulness" cards I made, having everyone write right down something for which they were thankful. We than used those cards to create our prayer before the big meal. Even the kids participated in it and I swear they had some of the best cards (who doesn't love chocolate milk and angry birds?). A quick plug for my craftiness: I've made a ton of extra cards this year. If you'd like to have some for your family's gathering, message me at my etsy page and I'll create a custom listing for you. 



I love to cook, so making all of the recipes for this particular dinner is something to which I always look forward. Already started perusing my recipe books and going over what I've made in past years. One signature dish I've made every year has been my pumpkin pie cheesecake. It's a staple for our family now. What are the must have dishes for your family's Thanksgiving?


No comments:

Post a Comment